2013 Honda VFR1200F
The Bike of Tomorrow -- Today.
Where do you even start with a machine like Honda’s revolutionary VFR1200F? Here’s a machine that showcases innovation and technology like a motorcycle transported from the future. Start with its super-compact Unicam® design 1237cc V4 engine, fueled by Honda’s first-ever Throttle By Wire system. Traction Control? You bet. And together with Honda’s Combined Braking with standard ABS, that makes the VFR one of our most impressive machines when it comes to dealing with challenging traction under acceleration or braking.
Warp Drive: One of the most advanced streetbike powerplants ever, the VFR1200F’s 1237cc Unicam®-head V4 is state-of-the-engine-art from top to bottom end.
Performance Art: The VFR1200F’s layered concept fairing offers a smooth, unified, fastener-free surface right off the MotoGP circuit. Never have aerodynamics and aesthetics worked so well together.
- 1237cc V4 Engine: Drawing on 30 years of V4 technology and racing success, Honda designers gave the VFR1200F what is surely the most advanced streetbike engine yet: a fuel-injected, liquid-cooled 1237cc, 76-degree, V4 brimming with low-end torque. Overall, it's more compact than the engine from the 781cc Interceptor.
- Differential Cylinder Bank Layout: Compact engine size was critical, so our engineers placed the VFR powerplant's V4 rear cylinders side by side but close together, while the front cylinders are more widely spaced. This makes the engine narrower near the rider's feet and allows the entire chassis and seating area to feature a distinctly narrowed profile.
- Exhaust System: Take a look at the VFR1200F's exhaust system. Notice the two outlets in the silencer? The lower one is always open, while the upper outlet only opens at higher engine and vehicle speeds. That lets our engineers fine-tune the exhaust back pressure for optimal performance and sound. It's a great example of how technology can take something as simple as a muffler and use it to improve your riding experience.
- Low-Centerline Driveshaft: Take a close look at the VFR1200F and you'll see that the driveshaft joins the transmission far below the swingarm pivot (with most shaft-driven bikes the pivot is on the same plane). The result? The VFR1200F delivers a more neutral handling platform under both acceleration and deceleration. You get the best of both worlds: The virtually maintenance-free aspects of shaft final drive and the superior handling character that only a chain-drive system has previously been able to offer.
- Slipper Clutch: We told you the VFR's parts manifest reads almost like that of a factory road racer. Example: A trick slipper clutch mechanism that moderates the effect of deceleration torque on the rear wheel, allowing engine braking to slow the bike without causing the rear tire to chatter.
- Throttle By Wire: The VFR1200F features Honda's Throttle-By-Wire system to ensure outstanding response and seamless acceleration across the engine's rev range. The Throttle-By-Wire system incorporates an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) to process information from the rider throttle control input and throttle valve position to return accurate throttle response.
- Combined Braking System w/ ABS: The VFR's Combined Braking System (CBS) with ABS melds the benefits of Anti-Lock Braking (ABS) with the measured application of front brakes when the rear brake lever is used. During front brake lever activation, all the right-side caliper pistons are applied, along with four of the pistons on the left side. When the rear brake is applied, the other two left-side pistons are actuated. To maintain equal braking force when using just the front brake, the right-side pistons are slightly smaller than the left-side pistons.
- Traction Control: VFR1200F also benefits from Honda's Traction Control system. If the system believes wheel-spin is imminent, engine power is momentarily reduced, maintaining traction. Together with the VFR1200F's C-ABS Combined Antilock Braking System, Traction Control adds to your security and peace of mind, even in difficult riding conditions.
- Layered Concept Fairing: The VFR's unique bodywork fuses both the cowl and fairings together to create a single smooth, unified, aerodynamic surface. Also, note what you don't see: no visible fasteners break up the fairing's lines. This design also routes appropriate airflow in separate paths for both engine cooling and rider comfort.
- Comfortable Seating: The seat for 2013—a supportive, vacuum-molded dual-seat design—offers increased comfort for both the rider and passenger. It features a flat and expansive seating area, with the space to adopt a range of different seating positions. This improves comfort during long days on the road. And your passenger also gets easy-reach grab handles and comfortable footrests.
- Trip Computer: In addition to an already full-featured LCD/analog instrument package, we've added a trip computer that adds current MPG, average MPG, and miles-to-empty information.
- Engine Type: 1237cc liquid-cooled 76 deg. V-4
- Bore And Stroke: 81mm x 60mm
- Induction: Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) with automatic enrichment circuit, 44mm throttle bodies and 12-hole injectors
- Ignition: Digital transistorized with electronic advance
- Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
- Valve Train: SOHC; four valves per cylinder
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final Drive: Shaft
- Front Suspension: 43mm cartridge fork with spring-preload adjustability; 4.3 in. travel
- Rear Suspension: Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link® single gas-charged shock with remote spring-preload adjustability and rebound-damping adjustability; 5.1 in. travel
- Front Brake: Dual full-floating 320mm discs with CBS six-piston calipers with ABS
- Rear Brake: Single 276mm disc with CBS two-piston caliper with ABS
- Front Tire: 120/70 ZR-17 radial
- Rear Tire: 190/55 ZR-17 radial
- Rake: 25 deg. 30 min. (Caster Angle)
- Trail: 101.0mm (4.0 in.)
- Wheelbase: 60.8 in.
- Seat Height: 32.1 in.
- Curb Weight: 591 lb. (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel -- ready to ride)
- Fuel Capacity: 5 gal.
- Miles Per Gallon: 35 MPG
- Model Id: VFR1200F
- Available Colors: Metallic Black
- Emissions: Meets current California Air Resources Board (CARB) and EPA standards.
- One Year: Transferable, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Engine Type
- 76 deg. V-4; SOHC; four valves per cylinder
- 1237 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 81 x 60 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) with automatic enrichment circuit, 44mm throttle bodies and 12-hole injectors
- Digital transistorized with electronic advance
- Front Suspension
- 43mm cartridge fork with spring-preload adjustability; 4.3 in. travel
- Rear Suspension
- Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link® single gas-charged shock with remote spring-preload adjustability and rebound-damping adjustability; 5.1 in. travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual full-floating 320mm discs with CBS six-piston calipers with ABS
- Rear Brakes
- Single 276mm disc with CBS two-piston caliper with ABS
- Front Tire
- 120/70 ZR-17 radial
- Rear Tire
- 190/55 ZR-17 radial
- 60.8 in.
- Seat Height
- 32.1 in.
- 25 deg. 30 min.
- 101.0 mm (4.0 in.)
- Fuel Capacity
- 5 gal.
- 35 MPG
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 591 lb.
- Final Drive
- Metallic Black
- One year transferable, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.